Thursday, September 8, 2011

Week 1: Favorite Object

My favorite object is Bernie, my oldest stuffed animal.  My mother gave him to me in 1991, the year my little brother was born.  He is a brown furry dog, designed by the "ty"company.  Bernie has remained important to me for the past twenty years for a few reasons, most of which involve my mom.  She gave him to me when she knew I would need another friend when my brother was born.  As a small child, I never had an imaginary friend, I always had  Bernie, and my mom helped him come alive.  Bernie is always on my bed, sometimes to my embarrassment, but he is a constant comfort that is directly connected to my family.

Elementary psychology and reasons behind children's connections to stuffed animals would be an interesting way to further understand why I still keep Bernie around.  I have a feeling few if anyone would also be interested in my stuffed animal.  An opposing point of view may tell a narrative of immaturity, and not understand why I would still consider my stuffed animal important.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment